Vegan Jackfruit Curry Recipe
An Asian tropical fruit that is easily recognized for its unique shape, size, and fruity flavor, Jackfruit is rich in energy, dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins and free from saturated fats or cholesterol, making it one of the best healthy summer treats to relish.
Some jackfruit nutrition facts will simply blow your mind away! For example, did you know that jackfruit benefits include that fact that it’s naturally rich in a B-complex group of vitamins and helps fight aging naturally? This fruit is great for skin, hair, boosting immunity, improving digestion and also fights some forms of cancer.
So, here is an amazing Vegan Jackfruit Curry recipe to try this summer.
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 dried Red Chilies
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 inch Ginger, shredded
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 medium Tomatoes, pureed
- 500gm fresh Jackfruit, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Mix the cubed jackfruit with turmeric, salt and 1 tablespoon of oil. Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pressure cooker. When hot, add cumin and mustard and let them start to sizzle or pop.
- Now add bay leaves and red chilies and cook for a few seconds. The idea is for the spices to infuse the oil with subtle flavors.
- Add in the onion, garlic and ginger and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, or until oil is released from the tomato mixture.
- Add the jackfruit to the cooker. Now add coriander, turmeric, black pepper and mix well.
- Add 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles over a medium flame.
- Open the cooker and cook on a medium flame for another 5 minutes. Garnish with the coriander.
Serve the hot Jackfruit curry with whole-wheat chapattis or Muttar Pulao.