How Would You Promote Well-being in School-Going Children
Schooling is not always about intellectual pursuits. In fact, there’s lot beyond the intellectual pursuits and a child needs to work, play, eat and rest to make the most of his school going days. In fact, kids are extremely active during this phase of their life and as a parent, it’s your responsibility to check if he is getting all what he deserves as a child. Promoting positive well-being for children requires a radical new approach. In this article, we will talk about some important facts that you must keep in mind to give your kids a better and healthy childhood.
Let’s take a look at the fundamentals of physical and mental health of your kids.
What your child needs for physical well-being
- Adequate nutrition- Make sure that your kids get proper nutrition from his daily foods. As a parent, you must restrict his cravings for fast food and snacks, while at the same time, you must come up with scrumptious delicacies for him, which are healthy and nutritious.
- Proper sleep- Check if your child is getting a good sleep every day, because this is what that will help him grow active and start afresh every morning.
- Regular exercise- For a healthy body, mind and soul, there’s no match to regular exercise. Allow your kid to free hand exercises and light stretching. Regular exercise will develop his immunity and will help develop him to deal with several physical and mental challenges
- Healthy living environment- Always try to nurture your kid in a healthy and hygienic environment. Keep in mind that unclean environment foster the growth of germs and microorganisms that usually affect a child’s health.
How to Nurture Your Child’s Mental Health
- Love and respect from the family– Love, security and acceptance are all what your child needs to grow with a sound mind. Accept his mistakes on the first place and help him learn from it through your unconditional love. This is how a sense of love and respect will automatically grow in your child.
- Self-confidence and high self-esteem- To imbibe a sense of confidence and esteem, it’s important to praise your kids. Set realistic goals for them, so that they can easily accomplish this. Be honest with them and avoid sarcastic remarks. This might develop a rebel inside him.
- Encouraging teachers and supportive friends- Encouraging teachers and friends are extremely important for their proper well-being. A good guidance and supportive playmates will help kids learn about teamwork and social life.
- Safe surroundings– Safe surroundings are necessary for the proper growth of the children. Keep in mind that your school going kid already has an inquisitive mind. So, it’s important to be a little selective in choosing television shows for children. Allow them to see those which are educational as well as entertaining. Also make your home a secured zone. Your child should not get scared about coming back home to you.
- Proper guidance and discipline– Set yourself as a good example in front of your kid, so that your kids can learn from you. At the end of the day, your child needs proper guidance, as it will help them practice discipline in their day-to-day life.
When to seek help
There are several warning signs that you must take into account. If your child is affected by any of these, you must see a doctor at the earliest.
- Consistent deterioration in school performance
- Strong efforts do not bring good grades
- Excessive anxiety
- Refusal to go to school
- Nightmares about school or any friends
- Disobedience to parents and teachers
- Temper tantrums or persistent depression
Since parents are the first one to notice the emotional and behavioral disorders of the child, it’s important to remain watchful always. In case you find a problem or have questions, consult your doctor at the earliest.