Do You Need To Go On The Anti Depression Diet?
Feeling stressed, depressed and fatigued? There is more to picking yourself up than reaching for a bar of chocolate. Some belief to embrace music, that gets your mind of depression.Research tells us that the best anti depression treatment at home begins with the right diet!
Can The Right Diet Really Help Ward Off Depression?
If you make an appointment with a nutritionist, he/she is guaranteed to tell you that the best anti depression tips start with a healthy, well-balanced diet.
Nutrition may have the potential to affect a person’s risk of depression, its symptoms and its severity. The link is frequently explored in research studies, and some have proven a connection between depression and deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins C and E, and folate. Furthermore, lifestyle interventions like coaching in healthy dietary practices are effective for reducing the burden of depression in at-risk older adults.
The Right Anti-Depression Diet
The basis of an anti-depression diet is to increase omega-3 fatty acids and DHAs in diet. These compounds help regulate cell membranes, dopamine and serotonin levels, communication between brain cells, and brain glucose metabolism.
Here is what you should eat:
- Lean portions of protein, for example Turkey – as it is rich in tryptophan that boosts serotonin production
- Walnuts and Almonds, as they have high omega-3 content
- Fatty Fish like Salmon, also rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Whole grains rich in fiber, as they help the body release serotonin
- Green Tea, because it contains theanine – a depression fighting amino acid
- Brazil nuts, as these are a super selenium source
- Green vegetables, Pulses and Beans, as these are all rich in B Vitamin Folate
Anti Depression Tip: Avoid These False Pick-Me-Ups
When you’re feeling blue, your body craves certain foods that are ALL bad for you. Avoid these false pick-me-ups:
- Sugary treats – Doughnuts and ice-cream are a bad idea. Instead, munch on a handful of naturally sweet nuts
- Caffeine – It may give you an instant energy boost, but will lead to a “crash” sooner rather than later, which will only worsen depression
Alcohol – Seems like a great idea to drown your sorrows with some Scotch on the Rocks, but alcohol is a depressant and will most likely exacerbate mental health issues.
You can also check how Ayurvedic Strategies helps you to fight with depression.